Wow. Blog times have been few and far between. My grandpa would have defined the time as “a month of Sundays.”
A lot is happening with, well .. a lot. On the non-familial front, the record label takes up some serious time and is fun. Some big projects coming up. Largely though it helps keep me involved in a musical world and community I enjoy. Amber is busy conquering a new job.
Family time is where the action is nonstop. A big busy juggle between present and future. Mabel is a serious blast and a ton of fun. The shuffle is working towards and prepping for our second child as well. Balance is always paramount.
Here’s a slice of the past though, with some pictures from Easter.
Our front porch is back in action, and fit for human use since we only have one cat now. Years of using the back door like a hippy is about to change.
Thank said, a suitable place to sit and store shoes would be handy. I started working on that today.
I’m starting with a handful of fir 2×6″s. I got these from someone in the neighborhood who emailed me a year or two ago about a renovation they were doing. They said they had all this wood for free. And they just sort of happened upon my blog and thought I could use it. As most the homes in the area it looked about 1950’s or so. So at least 60 year old fir. Tight grain. Good stuff.
Rough though, a bit warped, and with nails.
They I straightened one side so it sat firmly and square on the band saw table.
Here’s a piece after resawing on the bandsaw for the rails.
Planing short pieces for the legs.
You can see here how I now have the long sides (faces) are parallel, but the edges aren’t square.
I squared up on side and edge on the jointer, they ripped the leg to final width on the tablesaw.
I also ran the thinner stock for the rail through the planer to get rid of the bandsaw marks.
Four legs blanks, and stock for the rails.
Thinking the top and panels with be some of the butternut boards I have.
Cabinet is on the wall and getting some more tool holders in. Trying to make tool holder sturdy, but not too permanent. Left is some files / rasps, scrapers, fret saw and chisels.
Tool cabinet. One thing at a time.
I took all the hand-tools off the wall though to see how I’ll best get them in the cabinet. When it’s done it will certainly be nice that everything has a place, but also that it’s out of sight when not in use – not just a cluttery wall of tools on nails. Also, no matter how messy the shop or garage gets, whenever I get to any slow and patient hand tool work, it will start with having everything in it’s place. Or that’s the plan.
A little less time for this lately though. A little more record things, and (as you saw in earlier posts) beach things. And just taking the time out to hug the dog.
Guess now I need to make a few more things to hold tools in this cabinet.
That, and try and get this thing on the wall.
Portland was fun! Pics, etc, on that soon enough at the Mabel land blog. Clearly between my wife and I we post something every few months, with the exception of course of quick stuff from my phone. Which, no clue why a few of those previous ones didn’t load properly.
So yeah, in Portland a week and a half, then i\I spend a few hours in the shop and that is what you get an update on..
Drawers done on the tool cabinet. Here’s the most boring picture first.
I did one set of drawers first, then thought some variation in the depth of the drawer would be nice. So the second set has the sides cut-away.
This picture should help it make more sense. Just a dry test fit before gluing up.
Here’s two of the four drawers glued up. One of each type. The deeper ones are rounded over throughout the inside. More comfortable getting things in and out.
The drawers aren’t very deep and really, they’re made to be taken out while working. One drawer would be a set of something, or tools that go together, etc. For instance, carving chisels and a mallet. Or tools for steps of a sharpening regimen. You get the idea.
Here they all are together and in the case. They slide decently, but will definitely need some paste wax after I finished the cabinet. The reveal is still slightly off between the drawers to the right, and obviously they need some sort of handle. BUT – it was my first time doing something like this and using the same board to line up and cut four drawers from. The grain isn’t super strong in the Butternut, but the continuity is very much there.
Previous tool cabinet stuff here.
Gluing up cabinet box / routing for back – https://jubinsky.wordpress.com/2013/03/01/3414/
Dadoes for drawer slides – https://jubinsky.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/sunday-times-tool-cabinet-part-4-and-deck-benches-and-new-chisels/
Doors – https://jubinsky.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/tool-cabinet-part-5-doors/
Starting drawers – https://jubinsky.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/tool-cabinet-pt-7/
Ok, ok .. and here’s a picture of Mabel and I on vacation. One of the ones that won’t load on this page.
But I’ve had a few hours here and there to slowly do some woodworking. It’s nice to be at a place where slowly and patiently is what it’s all about. Good for now.
So I got a little more done on the tool cabinet – two of the drawers. Most pieces are cut for the other two, just need to fine tune some fits. Here’s a detail of the drawers and slide.
Mostly from scrap; the fronts are butternut, sides are birch, and the back and bottom is oak.